I decided to BLOG to share with you, the reader/follower, my travels, politics, and humor. Whether you agree or not, or simply enjoy some of my posts, I would appreciate your comments. I have posted some of our vacation trips that include: NE US and Canada (1997); London(1998); Paris(1998); Germany(1999); Austria(1999); Italy(1999); Philly-DC (2000); France(2001); New York and PA (2008); Glacier NP,(2010); and Cruises: Caribbean(2002), Hawaii(2003), Panama Canal(2003), and Alaska(2004)

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

58 & DON'T FEEL A DAY OVER 60


Turning 58.

Turning 58 wasn't so bad. It began like any other day. A little tired from lack of sleep. You see, while Tutz and I are completely renovating our master bedroom, she sleeps in a guest bedroom upstairs and I have the distinct pleasure of sharing a sofa with our 4 year old Yorkie--Mattie-- downstairs. You wouldn't think a 5 pound lap dog with attitude would "hog" the covers, but she does. In fact, at least 2-3 times a night I get up out of the warmth, take her outside, let her conduct business, and in a stuppor, return just so I can reward her disruption of my sleep with a coveted treat. Who's the fool in that picture??

Where was I? Oh, so my birthday starts like any other day-except the phone rings at 8:30. I just assumed it was for Carol. But to my pleasant surprise, it was from son Joe who wanted to be the first to wish me a most happy and wonderful birthday.
After a shower and dressing in my cool threads, Carol (aka Tutz aka Mimitutz) and I head to Covington where we dine at one of our favorite steak houses. I had my usual chicken tenders, seasoned vegies and rice. Tutz enjoyed the shrimp with baked potato.(here we are in the photo) At one point Tutz makes a short visit to the ladies room. It was at that exact moment that the restuarant crew chose to show up and sing "Happy Birthday" to me--sans Tutz!

Afterwards, we made the short hop to Conyers and quickly toured a local shop searching for a blue blaser in 42 Regular. It seems they had every size but the one I needed. We adjourned to the local theater and saw Definance with Daniel Craig of James Bond fame--a true story during WWII when Jews escaped from Polish gettos and survived in the forest. Good movie but almost too long for me--2 hours and 20 minutes.

Upon returning home, I learned I had received messages from all six (6) adult kids along with a couple of sisters and sister in law (Kaye). I also heard from the grandkids. Our set from Idaho called in waves. While I was talking to Kyle (5) about his Monster Truck (an electric remote age specific) being "in the shop", both Maya (8) and Avery (3) were leaving me the sweetest message. Avery couldn't understand why Papa John wasn't picking up the phone and talking to her. Then a little in the day, all three garndkids from Loganville (Olivia, Alex, and Mary) called and sang the most beautiful rendition of "Happy Birthday" known to man or in grandparentdom! Likewise, I was overwhelmed with all the Facebook friends that left me salutations! What a joy to be so remembered by family and friends.

Please allow me one last comment about my birthday. Since the late 1980s, the love of my life has made every day for me more special than the day before--but especially each and every birthday. January 19th, 2009 was no exception! Carol is truly the love of my life--now and forever. With that said, the simple fact of spending the day with her is what makes the day so special. And so it is, thats what life is all about, "John spending time with family and friends".

2 comments:

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

I'm so glad you had a good birthday dad and took time to enjoy yourself. And I'm glad that sweet Carol was there to make it fun!

John von Cannon said...

Thanks sweetie. I don't feel a day over 60--LOL