I decided to BLOG to share with you, the reader/follower, my travels, politics, and humor. Whether you agree or not, or simply enjoy some of my posts, I would appreciate your comments. I have posted some of our vacation trips that include: NE US and Canada (1997); London(1998); Paris(1998); Germany(1999); Austria(1999); Italy(1999); Philly-DC (2000); France(2001); New York and PA (2008); Glacier NP,(2010); and Cruises: Caribbean(2002), Hawaii(2003), Panama Canal(2003), and Alaska(2004)

Friday, January 23, 2009

HAWAIIAN CRUISE APRIL 2003


Prior to September 2002, I had never cruised. Didn't want to! Couldn't see myself being stuck on a large "boat" in the middle of an ocean with nothing to do...boring!!!!

Then my life changed. I had lower back surgery June 18th, 2002 with about 6 weeks of recovery. My dear wife Carol was the care giver during this time--I felt so guilty(she let me--LOL). I'm not use to being dependent on anyone! Period.

So, as part of "payback" to her for all the quality care she gave me, she and her sister Kaye from DC left Miami for a week on what at the time was a completely "smoke free" ship--The Paradise, and headed to the Caribbean--Nassau, San Juan, and St Thomas. Upon their return, I heard all the great stories of how relaxing the cruise was, great food and entertainment, and especially their daily visits to the spa! I was hooked.

So it was I took my first cruise and loved every minute of it. We took the exact same ship and visited the same ports of call.

This leads me to the fact that in addition to the Caribbean, we have cruised to: Hawaii, Panama Canal, and Alaska. We hope the future will include at least two more cruises--the Mediterranean and Australia. On with the story.

On Friday April 18th, 2003, Carol and I flew to San Diego, California. We picked up the rental and checked into room #3336 of the Hotel Del Coronado. During the next three days, we toured San Diego, Tijuana (I think Carol has just now forgiven me for that short trip--LOL), Old Towne, and the Hard Rock Cafes in SD, Tijuana, and La Jolla.

Saturday April 20th @ 5:00pm we boarded a bus that took us to Ensenada, Mexico where we boarded our Carnival Cruise Line ship--The Spirit--and set sail at 9:00 pm. We loved our cabin #6173 with balcony.

We arrived in Hilo, Hawaii--the Big Island--on Saturday April 26th. During the next six (6) days we visited the four major islands docking at ports of call at: Hilo, Kona, Maui, Hawiliwili, Kauai and Honolulu.

The highlights for me included: a Luau near Maui, Poynesian Cultural Center, tour of both LDS Temple and BYU campus grounds, and a lot of site seeing in Honolulu including Pearl Harbor.

We hated to leave, but returned home May 6th, a total of 19 days, with the great surprise that my first grandson--Kyle--was born the day prior.

Will we return to Hawaii? Maybe. Maybe not. Regardless, this was a great way to see all the islands and an experience of a life time!

Please enjoy the photos and give me your comments.


Hotel Del Coronado--San Diego 2003 (4-18)

San Diego Temple 2003 (4-19)

From inside our cabin of the Spirit--crossing the Pacific - 2003 (4-21)

Looking toward rear of The Spirit on Port side--2003 (4-22)

Looking toward rear of ship on starboard side--2003 (4-23)

Carol on board The Spirit en route to Hilo, Hawaii--2003 (4-24)

John & Carol on The Big Island at Hilo- 2003 (4-26)

Gardens of Mani Moa near Hilo--2003 (4-26)

Ditto

Tour of the Macademian Nut factory and gift shop - 2003 (4-26)

The Spirit docked at Hilo--2003 (4-26)

The Spirit docked on opposite side of The Big Island at KonaJohn at HRC of Kona 2003 (4-27)


Inside HRC Maui 2003 (4-28)

John & Carol having dinner 2003 (4-28)

Maui HRC 2003 (4-29)

Luau at Marriott in Maui 2003 (4-28)

Ditto

Ditto

Drive on SR30 thru Kaanapali north of Kapalua 2003 (4-29)

Ditto

Carol on board 2003 (4-30)

John on board--we had just left Nawiliwili, Kauai 2003 (4-30)

Aprroaching dock of Honolulu 2003 (5-1)

Welcome to Honolulu

The Spirit has docked in Honolulu 2003 (5-1)

Looking at downtown Honolulu from bow of The Spirit.

Ditto

Aloha!

An abandoned Spirit docked in Honolulu.

John & Carol with our dinner staff aboard ship.

Honolulu at night from ship- 2003 (5-1)

From our suite in the Mariott at Waikiki Beach--room 2305 -- hotel has 25 floors.

Looking toward downtown from 23rd floor.


Looking toward Waikiki Beach from our hotel room.

Market Place just a couple blocks from hotel. 2003 (5-2)

En route to BYU along ocean. 2003 (5-3)

Signage out front of BYU-Hawaii 2003 (5-3)

John & Carol in front of Hawaii Temple. 2003 (5-3)

Event at the Polynesian Cultural Center. 2003 (5-3)

Carol learning Hawaiian Dance. 2003 (5-3)

Model of the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Habor. 2003 (5-4)

USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. --2003 (5-4)

Names of the men who perished on Dec 7th, 1941.

The Misouri next door to the USS Arizona. This was the last full day in Hawaii--we flew out the next day--May 5th, 2003.














4 comments:

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

Awesome pictures Dad - makes me want to go! And I don't even like the beach!!

Carol von Cannon said...

WOW! You bring back some really great memories. Don't we have a perfect life? If I could just get rid of this dang thingy in my head!!

Tracy and Odie said...

I REALLY want to go to Hawaii. Odie served his mission there so it just makes sense that we go back, right?

John von Cannon said...

Thanks for your comments. It is a lovely place to visit and enjoy the culture and way of life. I highly recommend to one and all.