I decided to BLOG to share with you, the reader/follower, my travels, politics, and humor. Whether you agree or not, or simply enjoy some of my posts, I would appreciate your comments. I have posted some of our vacation trips that include: NE US and Canada (1997); London(1998); Paris(1998); Germany(1999); Austria(1999); Italy(1999); Philly-DC (2000); France(2001); New York and PA (2008); Glacier NP,(2010); and Cruises: Caribbean(2002), Hawaii(2003), Panama Canal(2003), and Alaska(2004)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

LONDON -1998


The day before departure, I was packing a very large piece of luggage. Once full, I decided to take it downstairs to the foyer. As I started down the stairs, it simply was to heavy and got away from me. To keep it from falling down the long steps, I grabbed hold and in the process re-injured my back. I called the doctor and picked up my pain pill prescription soon after.

So it was that Carol and I along with friends Jim and Suzy Price left Atlanta airport on April 10th, 1998 and arrived in London at Gatwick Airport on the 11th--after the usual 7+ hour uneventful trip across the big pond. During the next 5 days in London, it would be Jim who single handily managed all the luggage in and out of the little London taxis, up and down small "lifts" in the hotel, and up the escalator at the train terminal once we were ready for Paris.

The next five days were busy and fun filled. While we each had brought several changes of clothes, you the reader will note most of the photos had the same outer wear of blue jeans, coat, and cap. The weather was off and on rainy which made it even colder--but we enjoyed it! It was the first time to London for each of us--what great memories developed.

The following 55 or so photos will journal our trip. Sights and places include: Leeds Castle south of London, London, St James, St Paul, Trafalgar Square, Westminister Abbey, Whitehall, Kensington Palace, Hyde Park, and Buckingham Palace.

One last note before moving on.

Shortly after arriving and Jim taking our luggage to the third floor of the hotel (I tipped him very good--LOL), we ventured out on foot. We immediately found ourselves downtown in a very busy area with lots of people, traffic, and distractions. After browsing several shops on one side of the street, it was time to cross over to the other side. My wife Carol at that very moment in time stepped off the curb into the street looking to her left, without missing a beat, I grabbed her by the shoulders and yanked her back to the curb just as a fast car passed what seemed to be only inches away. She had momentarily forgotten that the British drive on "the wrong side" of the street!

Jim, Suzy, Carol and I as we arrive at Gatwick Airport.


Buckingham Palace--crowds have gathered to see the Queen's changing of the guard. I now know why the British pay so much in taxes.


Carol and I in Hyde Park.



Kensington Palace-Carol and Suzy.



Details of Kensington Palace and historical significance.



Kensington Gate.



Kensington Palace from a distance.




Elizabeth Regina




Kensington Palace Bobbies with the girls.



Kensington Palace--Jim and I wondering when is it time to eat??



Whitehall Palace




Westminster Abbey--Carol and Suzy.



Westminster Abbey from side.



Ditto



Here I am at the famous Trafalgar Square.



Trafalgar Square--that's our tour bus in the distance.




St Paul Cathedral--Lady Di and Prince Charles were married here.




St James Palace--Carol and I with the guards--and they are not distracted easily!



Here is the terminal where we catch the EuroStar for Paris by way of under the English Channel. More on that when sharing our second part of this trip in Paris.



BTW--go back 4 photos and you'll see this is our tour bus that left from Talfagar Square.



Carol in London with FDR and Winston Churchhill.




Dr Marten Shoes home. Footnote to my oldest--Tab, this is where we found the shoes you wanted but after custom duties and the exchange rate from a week dollar to a strong pound or quid, you were able to buy cheaper in the states. I tried!



A London icon--the double decker bus--they were like the small black taxis--everywhere!



This is outside the London Bridge. Crowds formed to go in and see the Crown Jewels. They had that down to a science. The tourists simply stood on a moving sidewalk and moved by the jewels.



Outside the London Bridge--from a distance.



Carol with Beefeater after we viewed the Crown Jewels.



Suzy and luggage on one side of taxi......



....Carol, Jim and I on the other side.



The three of us in busy London.



Looking down the Thames River with Parliament across the way. BTW--Thames is pronounced: "Tims".



Parliament



Our hotel in London. The small lift would barely hold Jim and the luggage!



World famous Harrods Department Store. If they don't have it, you don't need it!




World Famous London Hard Rock Cafe--this is where the chain started in 1971.




Custom Gun shop. It's a shame the UK mandated all handguns be turned in since this photo was taken and crime increased some 30% the following year--see my YouTube "The British Want their Guns Back" for more detail.



Jim outside same gun shop.



From the bridge that crosses the Thames at Big Ben, one can see the downtown London.



Fish and Chips where we ate.



A local London womens' clothier.



China shop--the girls are inside shopping while Jim and I are patiently waiting outside--seriously, you don't believe--just ask them!




A different photo of changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace.




British Museum.




London Tower Bridge Signage. Double click to read.



London Tower Bridge




Here I am at London Tower Bridge. (and the sun is out)



Carol and I with Big Ben in distance.



From London and Big Ben




Big Ben




Parliament



Barrister Shop in London.




From our tour bus as we leave London to Leeds Castle for the day.




Carol and I at Leeds Castle.



Our Tour Guide-Hiedi-out to Leeds. She recommended we eat India food on our return. The girls liked but Jim nor I were impressed. In fact, after an expensive dinner, Jim ate at McDonalds.



Leeds Castle--Carol and Suzy out front.

3 comments:

Tracy and Odie said...

Ah, London. Yet another place I'd like to go! Nice photos...

John von Cannon said...

Thanks sweetie! Put that on your "to go to" list. You'll make it!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

Awesome photos! And I'm so glad you were there to 'save the day' and that Jim was there to handle the heavy stuff. :)