I decided to BLOG to share with you, the reader/follower, my travels, politics, and humor. Whether you agree or not, or simply enjoy some of my posts, I would appreciate your comments. I have posted some of our vacation trips that include: NE US and Canada (1997); London(1998); Paris(1998); Germany(1999); Austria(1999); Italy(1999); Philly-DC (2000); France(2001); New York and PA (2008); Glacier NP,(2010); and Cruises: Caribbean(2002), Hawaii(2003), Panama Canal(2003), and Alaska(2004)

Friday, April 1, 2011

Men's Cologne from the Past

Back in the 80's, it was very common for men to wear cologne. At the office, church, on dates, even a quick trip to the grocery store. It was simply expected. The large cologne manufacturers loved the income. To sweeten the deal, a lot of retailers would offer special promotions--usually a handbag in the same color canvas as their product and would include their logo embedded on the side. Good marketing and free advertising.


Here is the collection I gathered together over a few years. My favorite was Polo--the green bottle. If you look closely, you might notice it is almost empty. On trips to Europe I would buy several "foreign" colognes--while they were good, I brought them mostly for the novelty of a foreign made product. Wearing cologne was the thing to do--or the IN thing.


Enter 2002. All that changed. June 18th I had a 4 hour lower back surgery. After 6 days of hospital recovery, I came home. Upon entering the front door, I realized my nose was more sensitive than ever. So sensitive in fact, I had all the clothes washing detergent removed and started with some that was scent free. From that day forward, I have a major aversion to overwhelming smells--particularly colognes. I have not worn a cologne since. Even my body deodorant is scent free. It is so bad, that if someone in a restaurant has cologne on, I must move away. If a person enters the elevator I am on with cologne, i will get off the next first floor.


So, there you have it. A beautiful (and at the time very expensive) collection of cologne that I can not use. Check back with me 20 years from now and I bet the bottles will have the same amount as they do today!!



















2 comments:

Tabitha said...

to this day, I can't smell Polo and not think of you. :)

John von Cannon said...

How sweet!