I decided to BLOG to share with you, the reader/follower, my travels, politics, and humor. Whether you agree or not, or simply enjoy some of my posts, I would appreciate your comments. I have posted some of our vacation trips that include: NE US and Canada (1997); London(1998); Paris(1998); Germany(1999); Austria(1999); Italy(1999); Philly-DC (2000); France(2001); New York and PA (2008); Glacier NP,(2010); and Cruises: Caribbean(2002), Hawaii(2003), Panama Canal(2003), and Alaska(2004)

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Shed Demolition





























The right bay removed and left bay under way(3-20-2010)





















The shed after bays were added (2005).



When we purchased Little Falls Farm in 2003, this shed consisted of the two center bays only. After a couple of years, both left and right bays were added along with an extension on the back by another 10 feet or so. At that time, the large Oak tree to the right (10 feet to the right of the white Ford Ranger in the photo) was live and well--even though it was leaning toward the shed.




About two years ago, this large oak was hit by lightning and died. I talked to several folks one of whom recommended a tree surgeon. The only way this tree can be cut down without demolishing the shed is to climb its limbs with chainsaw in tow and slowly and methodically remove the large limbs from top to bottom. This process has now become too unsafe since it's limbs have rotted and probably will not support a man's weight. Not to mention that we are talking $1300 to $1500.



Having said that, I came up with a great idea and my senior VP (Tutz) seconded the motion. The plan is simple. I will demo the shed piece by piece and recycle what I can. Those materials worth saving (tin, lumber, and treated posts) will be used in the new shed. The other photo above shows the right bay removed and the left under demolition.



The new shed will be attached to my barn/workshop on the back side. The dimensions of the new shed will be the full length of the barn--60 feet--and 15 feet wide. It will be able to house all the items under the current shed and then some. It also will serve as a protection in the unlikely case we suffer hail and need to park both the Beetle and F150 under it.



At a later date, I will BLOG as to the new shed.

No comments: